Friday 17 January 2014

Scoring System: Explained!

So... I've figured I'd better explain in a little more depth as to how the whole scoring system for scores works, and show you what has properly changed! Here you go!

 Junkie Score
The Junkie score was previously a score based on the average of the scores I gave to all the individual pieces in a score. Basically, I'd add up all the individual piece scores and then figure out an average for the whole thing. This didn't work, or just pissed me off, for a couple of reasons!
  • The fact that often the Junkie score wouldn't reflect my own personal thoughts on how well composed the score was in it's own right. For example; I believe that The Hunger Games: Catching Fire was worthy of less than an 80, whilst Oblivion, in my mind, should have received much higher than 90.52.
  • It's quite time consuming having to figure out a score for every single piece, and then calculating the whole average of the score. 
So, I figured I'd change it! Instead of calculating an average, I'm just going to give a Junkie Score which reflects my own personal opinion. It's not going to be mathematically correct, obviously. What it is going to be though, is a reflection of what I actually did think of the score, which to me, is much more important than a carefully calculated result. Reviewing scores is pretty damned subjective anyway, right?!

Highlights
Highlights used to be based on pieces which I felt needed a recommendation. Highlights is now basically a recap of any and every piece that has score higher than 95. An entire score can be listed in the Highlights, or maybe a single piece, or maybe none at all, who knows?! This gives you an idea on how much of the score I liked, or vice versa. 

Asterisks
An asterisks basically means that a piece has excelled. It has captured me, overjoyed me; those kind of things help in emulating an asterisk. Again, an entire score can be listed in the Highlights and all have asterisks, or vice versa.

Buy or Stream?
Buy or Stream is basically my recommendation on whether or not a piece is worth buying or not. A buy will generally be recommended when over half the pieces on the score card have a Highlights place. Buy will generally be quite rare, as forking out $20 for every good score is not really a smart move.


I hope I've cleared that all up!

No comments:

Post a Comment