Best Action Score: 2013
1. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug-Howard Shore
2. The Wolverine-Marco Beltrami
3. Man of Steel-Man of Steel
4. Thor: The Dark World-Brian Tyler
5. Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag-Brian Tyler
The Winner Is: Man of Steel-Hans Zimmer
Zimmer has had a stellar year, with some awesome scores, including The Lone Ranger, Rush and The Bible, but the one that really stood out for me was certainly Man of Steel. Zimmer haters will certainly despise me for liking and hailing this score as a masterpiece, but seriously... Man of Steel is emotional, powerful and a bunch of fun. Every action cue is exhilarating, high stakes and down right awesome! Man of Steel is a clear winner, for myself.
Best Animated Film Score: 2013
1. Epic-Danny Elfman
2. The Dark Knight Returns-Christopher Drake
3. Frozen-Christophe Beck
The Winner Is: Epic-Danny Elfman
Danny Elfman knows how to make a really awesome, fun, animated score, and Epic is a perfect example of this. Whilst many criticise the score with a lack of inspiration, I find it to be very refreshing and interesting. It's something I can just lie back and listen to for fun, and it's wonderful!
Best Release: 2013
1. Cocoon-James Horner (Intrada)
2. Days of Thunder-Hans Zimmer (La La Land Records)
3. Superman Returns-John Ottman (La La Land Records)
The Winner Is: Superman Returns-John Ottman
I thought Days of Thunder was a clear winner, before I looked through my playlists and found John Ottman's wonderful Superman Returns expanded score, which I couldn't stop listening to! Instead of sitting and talking with family on Christmas, I recall listening to this baby on repeat, for most of the day! La La Land really stole the show with this incredibly powerful, fun and engrossing score, that is masterfully composed, and really captures much of the essence of Superman.
Best Composer: 2013
1. Steven Price-Gravity, The World's End
2. Hans Zimmer-Man of Steel, Rush, The Lone Ranger, The Bible
3. Brian Tyler-Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag, Thor: The Dark World, Iron Man 3
4. Marco Beltrami-The Wolverine, A Good Day To Die Hard, World War Z, Carrie, Warm Bodies
5. Abel Korzeniowski-Romeo and Juliet, Escape From Tomorrow
The Winner Is: Brian Tyler
If you follow me on Google+, you'll see why I chose this man. I adored Thor and Iron Man 3, but AC4 was on another level for me! Tyler takes me into this world he's trying to create, and doesn't let go until the very end! He's an exciting composer, and one who loves to mix things up every once in a while. Great year for Tyler!
Best Film Score: 2013
1. Man of Steel-Hans Zimmer
2. Oblivion-M83 & Josh Trapanese
3. Thor: The Dark World-Brian Tyler
4. Rush-Hans Zimmer
5. Gravity-Steven Price
6. Paranoia-Junkie XL
7. Escape From Tomorrow-Abel Korzeniowski
The Winner Is: Oblivion-M83 & Josh Trapanese
I've raved about this score enough, so I'll keep it short. Oblivion captured the emotion of the film, had a distinctive, smart theme and ultimately, stole my heart for the entire duration of it's running time. I loved it from beginning to end, and whilst it may not have as high a score as, say Man of Steel or Gravity, it's the score that I'll remember years down the track, when I think back on 2013.
Best Television Score: 2013
1. Game of Thrones: Season 3-Ramin Djawadi
2. The Bible-Hans Zimmer, Lorne Balfe
3. Legends of Chima-Anthony Lledo
4. Arrow: Season 1-Blake Neely
The Winner Is: Game of Thrones: Season 3-Ramin Djawadi
This was my first Game of Thrones score, and I was not disappointed with the quality! Djawadi kills it every year with the score to this brilliant television show, and this is no exception. Everything about this score screams epic, and I certainly had the most fun of any score this year in the television category listening to this.
Best Game Score: 2013
1. Grand Theft Auto V-Tangerine Dream & Woody Jackson
2. Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine-Austin Wintory
3. Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag-Brian Tyler
4. Call of Duty: Ghosts-David Buckley
The Winner Is: Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine-Austin Wintory
This score was a bunch of fun, and captured the atmosphere of the game perfectly. It felt like a heist score, and that is what made it so engrossing. It's a joy to listen to, and it will certainly not get old any time soon, I can guarantee you that!
That's pretty much all I have to offer you now! I'm sorry for the lack of nominations and categories. Apparently, I hadn't listened to that many scores! But those are my awards, and I hope you enjoyed reading all about why I choose them!
Thanks for reading! Check out some of these links to social networks/music streaming sites/movie related sites/etc...
Post a Comment